Tomato juice has more than just lycopene – it is a revitalizer
Tomato juice is delicious and very low in calories. It can be had at any time and is a refreshing pick-up. This red fruit (it is actually a fruit though it is used as a vegetable) is easily and widely available throughout the year, is cheap and can be juiced without much effort.
Tomatoes are full of lycopene, a great antioxidant that has many health giving benefits. Though tomatoes are commonly red in color, there are more than 4,000 varieties of tomatoes, including green, yellow, purple and orange apart from different shades of red.
Scientific research has verified the amazing nutritive powers of tomatoes that are used extensively in food, drink, condiments, sauces and cocktails.
Disease Fighting Properties Of Tomatoes
The high quantity and quality of nutrients in tomatoes contribute to its disease fighting properties. Tomatoes are known to combat many diseases including,
- Immune system – the high vitamin and phytonutrients in tomatoes give the immune system a boost and help fight many viral and bacterial diseases.
- Bone and teeth health – calcium and magnesium in tomatoes strengthen bones and teeth and help prevent osteoporosis.
- Vision and eye sight – phytonutrients beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin preserve eye health and reduce the risk of cataracts and age related macular degeneration.
- Cancer – tomatoes contain alpha-tomatine that is linked to reducing the risk of developing prostate and non-small cell lung cancers. The high carotenoids content of tomatoes also reduces the risk of breast cancer.
- Cardiovascular diseases – this fruit reduces the tendency of the blood to clot, thus decreasing the risk of heart attack and stroke caused by blood clots. Tomatoes also improve cardiovascular health and reduce the risk of cardiovascular ailments by as much as 30 percent.
- Weight loss – extremely low in calories and full of fiber and nutrients, tomato juice helps with weight loss.
- Muscle recovery – the nutrients in tomatoes aid in muscle recovery after exercise and physical exertion and reduces muscle soreness.
- Digestion – tomatoes are good for the digestive system, improve colon health and prevent constipation.
Apart from numerous health benefits, intake of tomatoes also improves skin and hair health and detoxifies the body.
So many nutrients in such a small package
Tomatoes play a huge role in the Mediterranean diet that is considered one of the healthiest in the world. The fruit is rich in many vitamins and minerals and is full of antioxidants, flavonoids and carotenoids including
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- B vitamins
Tomato Juice Recipes
Tomato vegetable juice
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 cucumbers
- Juice of half a lemon
Prepare vegetables and juice together with the lemon juice. If you want the juice to be spicy, add some black pepper or some green chili or a small piece of jalapeno when juicing.https://www.youtube.com/embed/bbaZe_W1QLU?rel=0&modestbranding=1&controls=0&showinfo=1&fs=1&wmode=transparent
Tomato and carrot juice
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
Wash and scrape carrots and cut into pieces that will go into the juicer. Put tomatoes in first, juice them and then add the carrots to be juiced. Stir the juice to blend and have fresh.
Instead of reaching for an energy drink for a quick pick-up, have a glass of tomato juice that will offer you additional health benefits as well.
Suggested Reading: Best Aroma Professional plus Rice Cooker