Bananas are an extremely easy fruit to eat and use as the peel comes off easily and there is no further preparation required. You do not need to remove any seeds or even wash the fruit since nature has already wrapped it very well.
What’s more bananas are available almost round the year and are very reasonably priced as well. This fruit is full of vitamins and minerals and fiber, is dense and sweet and yet it is not high in calories.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Bananas
Bananas come in different sizes from very small to very large. Generally the smaller fruits are denser in texture. Whichever shape, size and variety you like in bananas, you are getting all the health benefits that bananas are known for including
- Energy – the fruit is a source of concentrated energy and helps keep blood sugar levels stable.
- Cholesterol – bananas contain various sterols like stigmasterol, campasterol and sitosterol that help to block dietary cholesterol from food sources, keeping bad cholesterol levels at bay.
- Hypertension – thanks to the high potassium content, bananas help keep high blood pressure levels in check.
- Digestion – the bulk and soluble fiber in bananas help in digestive disorders including diarrhea. As they are easy to digest, they are also helpful in constipation.
- Muscle cramps – whether these occur during sleep or physical activity, because of their complex nutritive values, the fruit helps with these.
Banana Nutrition Value
Bananas are an ideal food thanks to the taste and sweetness coupled with the low glycemic value. The fruit contains protein, carbohydrates, fiber and a small amount of fat. Among the vitamins and minerals that bananas contain are
- B vitamins
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin E
The fruit also contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, amino acids and carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin that are antioxidants known to help with vision problems.
Banana Juice Recipe
While bananas are easy enough to simply eat, there is a lot more you can do with bananas, cooking them in sweet and savory dishes, cakes and breads and adding them to milkshakes, ice-creams, smoothies and other desserts.
As bananas are dense in texture, they must be combined with more water containing fruits and vegetables for juice blends. Because bananas have low water content, they cannot be put in a juicer and must be pureed in a blender.
Banana Juice With Citrus
- 2 oranges
- ½ grapefruit
- 1 banana
Peel and juice the citrus fruits. Peel and chop the banana. Put the juice and banana in blender and combine till smooth.
Banana Juice With Melon
- 1 cup chopped and deseeded watermelon
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup water
Put all the fruit in blender along with water (or use ice-cubes if you want it really cold) and blend at high speed till smooth. Decant and enjoy.
Bananas are good for health, tasty, flavorful, filling and abundantly available. Their smooth, creamy sweetness goes well with various flavors, without overwhelming them. Include bananas in your daily diet for taste and nutrition.